Saturday, August 14, 2010

Before the thread hits the needle

Hi!  I'm Lobela and I haven't sewn since 7th grade.  And don't ask me how long ago that was, that would be like asking me my age and you certainly aren't getting that answer.  Anyway, back to the sewing.  I recently decided that I needed to learn how to sew.  I just bought a house and have been having a hard time finding pillows and curtains that I like and that are in my budget.  But that wasn't all that attracted me to sewing.  I also wanted to learn to make super cute things that I could sell on Etsy or maybe even try my luck at local craft fairs and church bazaars.  I hope to make some extra money doing something fun at home!  We shall see.

But, for now, I am just excited by idea of learning how to sew.  I taught myself how to crochet using a book back in college (don't you ask how long ago that was either).  I figure I can do the same now with sewing.  So, I bought myself a refurbished sewing machine and the highest rated how-to book on Amazon.  It's called Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp.  I love this book already and I have never even plugged in my sewing machine.  I really can't wait to get started, I just have to get my sewing area ready. So since I haven't even sewn one stitch, this blog it really starting from the beginning.  This book comes with 25 designs and patterns.  I want to make a lot of them.  There is even a coat I can make for my puppy!  In the first chapter, the author recommends making an inspiration board.  I have so many things that I want to learn how make now!  I'm not sure when I will get to my Etsy projects.  I'm going to start collecting images so I can create my own inspiration posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment